Thursday, November 13, 2008

Blog for Monday 11/10

Today was dedicated to learning about how lay leaders of the Jewish community worked together after Katrina. In the morning, we met with the president of the Federation Michael Wasserman, executive director Michael Weil, immediate past president Allan Bissinger, campaign director Sherri Tarr, and executive director of Jewish Family Services Deena Gerber. In the afternoon, we met with executive director Arlene Baron of the Uptown JCC, as well as Hillel of Tulane director Rabbi Yonah Schiller. Each of these members gave us such an in depth description of how they worked together as a to help the Jewish community during this time period. As I was sitting there listening to them speak, I was so impressed with the way they were so organized and were able to really come together to help other. In the past I have been taught just how important good communication skills are in any relationship. I find it astonishing just how great these skills are within the Federation in New Orleans and I truly believe that without it, the community could not have succeeded as much as it did in the face of Katrina. The federation truly sets a precedent that I believe all communities should take into consideration during such a disaster.

What also impressed me was the way the Jewish community helped not only Jews, but the entire community. Arlene Baron discussed how the JCC was one of the first buildings to be opened after the flood, and the building was used by FEMA as a place for people to receive services. On top of this, the gym facilities and showers were used by all community members, both Jews and non-Jews alike. The JCC brought so much relief to the community and helped out in so many ways during this time. For many, this was the only form of relief found for months after the floods. This is something that is so important.

All in all, today was an awesome day. I learned so much in such a short amount of time, and can’t wait to share it all with people back in NY!

-Danielle Skurnick

1 comment:

paulc said...

Hey y'all,

I'm an oldster (38!), and I've never blogged before!

I wanted to say how moved I was on Sunday, November 9th by the tour of the Orthodox synagogue with Rabbi Uri and how wonderful it is that the Reform congregation reached out to them and helped them get a place to pray.