Monday, November 10, 2008

Here We Are

I initially planned on writing about the plane ride however being that I slept the entire way, I did not have much to add. I also knew that once I met the group of professionals and lay leaders last night in the warm and open home of Mike and Lyn Wasserman, I had to write about them.

The New Orleans Jewish community has officially amazed me and touched my heart. They speak of their community with pride and when they use the pronoun "we" you know that they mean it. The Wassermans opened their home and the group who spoke to us opened their minds and hearts. During our informal discussion in their living room, sitting on the floor and in comfortable chairs, they touched on what it feels like to be rebuilding their lives, having lost friends, and welcoming new comers.

From a social work mindset, I noticed the pain and anger in their voices but the resiliency that shone through. Most striking to me was the understanding that they had for each other and the connectedness that they shared after sharing the pain of Katrina.

And their humor and kindness is remarkable.

-Chana Topek, '09

No comments: